UK makes producers pay the cost of collecting and recycling packaging
The UK government has adopted a new strategy under which the producers and retailers of packaging shall be forced to pay the cost of collecting and recycling it. The motto behind the move is to “make the polluter pay”.
The new mandate aims to:
- Introduce a tax on single use plastic with less than 30% recycled content.
- Consider banning plastic packaging where there are alternatives.
- Legislate to allow government to specify a core set of materials to be collected by all local authorities and waste operators.
- Commit to a deposit return scheme for bottles and cans.
- Ensure all households get food waste collections.
- Try to build a stronger UK recycling market.
In October, UK officials announced plans to begin taxing the import and manufacture of all plastic packaging that is not recyclable; the tax was announced in the 2018 budget, though the government says it is still mulling exact details and timetable.