Grading food items based on their environmental impact? Well, it might soon be a reality in Denmark!
The grocery stores in Denmark might soon be selling food items whose packaging reveals their environmental impact.
Under this commendable initiative, food grades would be based on-
- The amount of transportation a particular food item required to reach the shelves,
- How much water was used to make the product,
- Which pesticides were used on its exterior,
- The environmental impact of the packaging, and
- The amount of greenhouse gas emissions that were created as a byproduct of the item.
Legislators admit that the task will be difficult based on the challenge of grading the products in contrast with their nutritious content as well, but they are up for it!